facebook RSS

IRS and State Income Tax

Tax Lawyers - IRS Attorneys - Notice of Intent to Levy

Do I have to File a Tax Return?

IRS Tax Tip 2011-02

You must file a federal income tax return if your income is above a certain level; which varies depending on your filing status, age and the type of income you receive.

Check the Individuals section of the IRS website or consult the instructions for Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ for specific details that may help you determine if you need to file a tax return with the IRS this year. You can also use the Interactive Tax Assistant available on the IRS website to determine if you need to file a tax return. The ITA tool is a tax law resource that takes you through a series of questions and provides you with responses to tax law questions.  If you are unsure of your need to file, contact Strategic Tax Lawyers, LLP to discuss your case.   If you are required to file and fail to do so, your unpaid taxes may result in an intent to levy your assets.

There are some instances when you may want to file a tax return even though you are not required to do so. Even if you don’t have to file, here are seven reasons why you may want to:

  • Federal Income Tax Withheld: You should file to get money back if federal income tax was withheld from your pay, you made estimated tax payments, or had a prior year overpayment applied to this year’s tax.

  • Making Work Pay Credit:  You may be able to take this credit if you had earned income from work. The maximum credit for a married couple filing a joint return is $800 and $400 for other taxpayers.

  • Earned Income Tax Credit:  You may qualify for EITC if you worked, but did not earn a lot of money. EITC is a refundable tax credit; which means you could qualify for a tax refund.

  • Additional Child Tax Credit:  This refundable credit may be available to you if you have at least one qualifying child and you did not get the full amount of the Child Tax Credit.

  • American Opportunity Credit:  The maximum credit per student is $2,500 and the first four years of postsecondary education qualify.

  • First-Time Homebuyer Credit:  The credit is a maximum of $8,000 or $4,000 if your filing status is married filing separately. To qualify for the credit, taxpayers must have bought – or entered into a binding contract to buy – a principal residence located in the United States on or before April 30, 2010. If you entered into a binding contract by April 30, 2010, you must have closed on the home on or before September 30, 2010. If you bought a home as your principal residence in 2010, you may be able to qualify and claim the credit even if you already owned a home. In this case, the maximum credit for long-time residents is $6,500, or $3,250 if your filing status is married filing separately.

  • Health Coverage Tax Credit:  Certain individuals, who are receiving Trade Adjustment Assistance, Reemployment Trade Adjustment Assistance, or pension benefit payments from the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, may be eligible for a Health Coverage Tax Credit worth 80 percent of monthly health insurance premiums when you file your 2010 tax return.

For more information about filing requirements and your eligibility to receive tax credits, visit http://www.irs.gov.

Strategic Tax Lawyers can help with virtually all IRS and State tax matters. If you need help in getting the right settlement on your taxes, need tax returns prepared, or simply don't know what your tax picture looks like please call us for a quick, free analysis of your tax record.

Call us now for a free analysis at (800)NOW-IRS-LEVY. We can help.

Find out all you need to know as a business regarding IRS State and Income tax, from the IRS.gov site.  The IRS Publication 15 may also be helpful.  Need to know what your state laws might apply to your IRS taxes?  Do a local Google search on your state and the keyword IRS taxes.

CALL: 800-669-4775
201 Wilshire Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90401